Sunday 11 September 2011

Pork in orange sauce

This is an old family favourite dish that somehow I haven't got written down anywhere, but decided to make tonight nonetheless. Thankfully mum was in when I phoned for help :)

The recipe came from my late godmother, Cynthia, and reminds me of having dinner while staying with her in Formby, near Liverpool, during school holidays. It's fantastic comfort food.

Cynthia's pork with orange

Four good quality pork chops or loin steaks
Plain flour seasoned with salt and pepper, and mixed spice (I added cumin too)
Juice and finely chopped zest of 2 large oranges
1-2 tbsp brown sugar (or to taste)
1tbsp oil for frying

Coat the pork well in the seasoned and spiced flour, and fry in the oil until beginning to brown. Add the orange zest and juice (I used the pulp as well) and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add the sugar and simmer for 20-30 minutes more until the pork is tender and the sauce is reduced. You can also put it in the oven at about 150-160°C for about the same time. It's not a precision dish!
Serve with mashed potatoes and peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment