Tuesday 11 July 2017

Gooseberry yogurt cake

Having been given some delicious home grown gooseberries, I wanted to find a new recipe to do them justice. I've previously made a meringue pie but I didn't need a dessert this week, just cake. I settled for an old Tesco recipe, summarised as:

Beat together 75g butter/marg, 75g natural yogurt, 125g caster sugar, and 2 eggs. Fold in 150g self-raising flour. Bake in a lined 20cm tin at 180°C / 170°C fan for 20 minutes. 
Meanwhile, melt 25g butter and 4tbsp golden syrup, and cook 300g gooseberries (topped and tailed) in it for a few minutes to soften. 
Spoon the gooseberries over the cake and bake for another 30 minutes.

The end result was tasty and had a soft, slightly dense madeira-like texture. I added a drop or two of almond essence for interest, which worked well with the fruit, and also did my usual trick of a half teaspoon of baking powder in with the SRF. It's not a very tall cake and I could be tempted to double the cake recipe and make another one (without the fruit on top) and sandwich them together with gooseberry jam or lemon curd.

My one issue is with the gooseberries - there was a significant amount of liquid in the pan, and I didn't dare pour all of it on the cake. As it was, some liquid still came through the loose-bottomed tin and leaked onto the oven shelf below. So there is now some gooseberry sauce in the fridge :) I am tempted to just cook the gooseberries with a little sugar next time, no syrup or butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment