Sunday 15 September 2019

Black bean brownies

Original recipe from ifoodreal via 200 is plenty sweet. These are low in sugar and high in fibre.

1 400g can black beans, rinsed
2 large eggs
140g no-sugar apple sauce
48g cacao powder
60g dates
80g dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp bicarb
(optional) 40g protein powder
(optional) milk of your choice to loosen

I used 2 x Ella's Kitchen pear baby food (70g each) for the 'no-sugar apple sauce' (as I couldn't find any other option, and no time to make my own), and I chopped 70% dark chocolate rather than using chips. I added 40g of plain protein powder that I had been given as a sample, and some oat milk to loosen the batter (due to the powder and only having medium eggs). My food processor did't get the mixture super smooth but it's not a problem.

Baked at 175C for 30 mins in a 20cm x 20cm tin, cut into 16. It did stick to the paper a bit so there were plenty of crumbs - would use non-stick baking paper in future. Per piece: 130 calories, 9.3g protein, 2.7g fibre.

It's quite a dark, intense chocolate flavour and the inclusion of chocolate pieces in the batter is definitely needed, but it suits me perfectly as I don't like things too sweet. Using your own apple sauce rather than the quite thin baby food might be better, but it's still a good fudgy texture.

(yes, I ate one before the photo...)

No comments:

Post a Comment